This video introduces some basic signs you will learn in the 6 week course taught by Veronica.
Here are 2 articles on the advantages of baby signing:
Benefits of Baby Sgining:
• Decreases frustration: Does your child whine or scream when he/she wants somethin g? For children unable to communicate their needs verbally, sign language helps reduce their frustration.
• Builds vocabulary : Rather than just pointing to something, signs teach children how to use symbols for objects, descriptors , actions , et c.
• Increases social skills: Successful communication with family members and people in a child’s envi ronment creates a sense of belonging. It also allows him/her to manipulate language for various social functions including sharing info r m a t i o n , comm e n t i n g , re q u e s t i n g , and turn taking.
• I n c reases early literacy skills: R e s e a rch supports that learning
si gns before learning to talk may encourage literacy/reading skills later in life ( ww w. sign2m e. com/ asl. htm) .
• Increases motor development : By creating signs, the child practices coordination of hand and body movements , which not only improve overall motor skills, but u l t i m a t e ly help stimulate speech production .
• Increasees length of utterances: Signs may help a child transition to using longer phrases and sentences. For example, instead of using one word to request (“ Cookie!”) , you may ask the child to imitate two or more wo rds through signs (“Cookie, please”).
Resrouce: Jennifer Vroom (2004) "Encouraging Spoken Language Through Signs," Super Duper Handy Handouts Publications.